PFLAG Charleston began in the summer of 2015 with a group of local individuals looking for a way to provide support, education and advocacy for parents, families, and friends of the LGBT+ (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and other sexual minorities) community. We welcome the participation and support of all who share in our Vision and Mission and who hope to realize our goals.
Our Mission Statement
Charleston PFLAG will strive locally to help realize the vision of PFLAG National through:
o Providing support for families, friends, allies and those who are LGBT+
o Acting as a visible and physical presence of safety and support in the community for those who are LGBT+
o Providing resources, education, and information to dispel myths and foster healthy attitudes toward those who are LGBT+
o Developing and maintaining relationships with others committed to supporting the LGBT+ community
o Continuously educating ourselves regarding issues and information impacting those who are LGBT+
From the National PFLAG website:
We, the parents, families and friends of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender persons, celebrate diversity and envision a society that embraces everyone, including those of diverse sexual orientations and gender identities. Only with respect, dignity and equality for all will we reach our full potential as human beings, individually and collectively. PFLAG welcomes the participation and support of all who share in, and hope to realize this vision
PFLAG promotes the health and well-being of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender persons, their families and friends through: support, to cope with an adverse society; education, to enlighten an ill-informed public; and advocacy, to end discrimination and to secure equal civil rights. PFLAG provides opportunity for dialogue about sexual orientation and gender identity, and acts to create a society that is healthy and respectful of human diversity.
- Build the capacity of our organization at every level so that we may have all the resources, in the form of information, people and funding, necessary to move forward in our work with the greatest possible effect.
- Create a world in which our young people may grow up and be educated with freedom from fear of violence, bullying and other forms of discrimination, regardless of their real or perceived gender identity or sexual orientation or that of their families.
- Make our vision and our message accessible to the broadest range of ethnic and cultural communities, ending the isolation of families with lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender family members within those communities.
- Work toward full inclusion of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender persons within their chosen communities of faith.
- Create a society in which all LGBT+ persons may openly and safely pursue the career path of their choice, and may be valued and encouraged to grow to their full potential in the workplace.
- Create a society in which all lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender persons may enjoy, in every aspect of their lives, full civil and legal equality and may participate fully in all the rights, privileges and obligations of full citizenship in this country.